Most of the move-up buyers I work with in Tulsa hit the same wall: they're ready for a bigger house, a better lot, or a different school zone, but their equity is locked up in the home they're currently living in. The question isn't really "should I sell or buy" — it's "which one first, and how do I not get stuck between the two."

There's no universal right answer, but there is a right way to think about it. It comes down to three things: how much of your next down payment depends on your current equity, how comfortable you are carrying two payments even briefly, and how competitive the specific price point you're moving into actually is.

The case for selling first

If most of your next down payment is tied up in your current home's equity, selling first is usually the safer move. It tells you exactly what you have to work with before you make an offer, and it means you're never carrying two mortgages at once. The tradeoff is timing risk on the other side — you may need a rent-back agreement with your buyer, a short-term rental, or a flexible closing date while you find the next house.

This is the path I recommend most often for buyers moving from a starter home into something in the $300K–$500K range, where equity from the sale is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on the new down payment.

The case for buying first

If you have enough liquidity to cover a down payment without touching your current home's equity — savings, a bridge loan, or a HELOC on your existing property — buying first can put you in a much stronger negotiating position. You're not a contingent buyer, which matters in Tulsa's more competitive pockets like Midtown and parts of Brookside, where well-priced listings can draw multiple offers in the first week.

The tradeoff is obvious: you're carrying two mortgages until your old home sells. That's manageable if your current home is priced right and in reasonable shape, but it's not a bet worth making on a home that needs work or sits in a slower-moving price range.

The order of operations should follow your risk tolerance and your balance sheet — not the other way around.

A middle path: contingent offers

Oklahoma sellers will generally consider a home-sale contingency, especially if your current home is already listed or under contract. It's not as strong as a non-contingent offer, but paired with a fair price and a clean set of terms, it can work — particularly on listings that have sat for a few weeks.

Questions worth answering before you decide

  • How much of your next down payment comes from your current home's equity?
  • Could you comfortably carry both payments for 60–90 days if it came to that?
  • Is the price point you're moving into one where non-contingent offers are winning?
  • Would a rent-back or short-term lease bridge the gap if you sell first?

There's no version of this that removes all the risk — moving up always means holding two transactions in your head at once for a little while. What changes the outcome is having a lender and an agent who map out the sequence with you before you're under contract on anything, not after.